The anxious girl’s first day of work

Niamh outlines methods she has found useful in coping with the anxiety of starting a new job and her first experiences working as a copywriter.
-Niamh Reed

Mental health is being talked about more today than ever before, but we still have a long way to go. It’s a hurdle, but it is scalable. You don’t have to let it hold you back. Living with a mental health disorder can be just as debilitating as a physical disability and people cannot see when you’re hurting. With depression and anxiety, facing the upheaval of your life when university ends can be a mountain too steep to believe you can climb. 

Congratulations - you did it! You finished your degree with the qualification you worked so hard for. To top it off, you’ve accepted a great job offer - except you know nothing about working full-time. You’ve spent your entire life in education and now everything is changing. You think about it and your chest tightens. Doubts, questions and worries circle in your mind. What if no one likes me? What if I’m not good enough? You start to hate, berate and bully yourself. I don’t deserve this opportunity. I’m worthless.

Sound familiar? The unfortunate truth is that for so many, part or all of the above is normal. Excitement is replaced with anxiety and the desire to run and hide. You catastrophise the situation until it becomes too much.

It's okay to be afraid

Leaving university is a time of uncertainty. Suddenly you have bills and responsibilities and you must be an adult. It’s big and unknown, but everyone is, has or will experience it, and they are scared too. You needn’t feel ashamed for being frightened, and things DO get easier.

I felt oddly calm on my first day (well, calm for someone with anxiety, at least). Despite being nervous about not knowing what to expect, I managed to keep my head up and my back straight as I entered the office. The people were very welcoming, even having ‘decorated’ my desk and meeting them wasn’t as scary as I had built it up to be. That’s the way it is- often, the things you build up to be super scary actually end up being fun. 

Imposter syndrome 

You don’t see your value in the workplace or recognise your accomplishments and the longer the imposter syndrome continues, the worse it gets, potentially leading to depression and anxiety. You must tackle it and try to recognise the good work that you’re doing. I’m learning to recognise that my writing is valuable to us – and it is ‘us’, not ‘them’ as I am part of the company now. Try to be open, it won’t hurt to ask how you’re doing; your desire to improve where possible will impress. 

If you don’t know what to do, ask

A symptom of anxiety is the worry that you’re a burden and the overwhelming need to avoid that at all costs. You want to impress, but you worry that you’ll annoy people by asking something. This is not the case. 

On my first day, I had to ask a lot about how to use the programs that I would need daily. My first day at a software company and I couldn’t make a computer work. If I didn’t ask, I wouldn’t be able to work. So, I approached my supervisor and it wasn’t a problem in the slightest. The tightness in my chest began to recede. She told me that she had struggled understanding the software and navigating new programs too. She helped me, and now I’m not as scared. 

Be brave and take the leap

Enjoy your first day of work. It might seem scary, but just be yourself – after all, that’s how you got the job in the first place. If my experiences are anything to go by (and to quote Bob Marley) - don’t worry, because every little thing is going to be alright.


Hi! I’m Niamh, a Keele University graduate, fox lover and budding copywriter at Parker Software. By day I write about technology and my experiences as an intern. By night I draw, play the violin, and hip-throw to my heart’s content in jiujitsu. 














accommodations for anxiety disorder in school
accommodations for students with anxiety
accommodations for students with anxiety and depression
accommodations for students with anxiety disorders
activities for children with anxiety
activities to reduce anxiety in children
anxiety about being sick
anxiety about going back to school
anxiety about going to school
anxiety about school work
anxiety activities for elementary students
anxiety activities for kids
anxiety activities for middle school
anxiety affecting school
anxiety and childhood
anxiety and depression in the classroom
anxiety and feeling sick
anxiety and school
anxiety and school attendance
anxiety and school performance
anxiety and school refusal
anxiety and school work
anxiety attack at school
anxiety attacks in children
anxiety based school refusal
anxiety coping skills for kids
anxiety disorder in toddlers
anxiety disorders in the classroom
anxiety education
anxiety feeling sick
anxiety going back to school
anxiety in 10 year old boy
anxiety in 10 year old girl
anxiety in 11 year old boy
anxiety in 11 yr old girl
anxiety in 12 year old boy
anxiety in 12 year old daughter
anxiety in 13 year old boy
anxiety in 4 year old
anxiety in 4 year old boy
anxiety in 7 year old
anxiety in 9 year old daughter
anxiety in boys
anxiety in children
anxiety in children under 10
anxiety in children under 10 symptoms
anxiety in class
anxiety in classroom environment
anxiety in elementary students
anxiety in high school students
anxiety in kids
anxiety in kids symptoms
anxiety in kindergarten students
anxiety in middle school students
anxiety in preschoolers
anxiety in preschoolers symptoms
anxiety in primary school
anxiety in primary school students
anxiety in school age child
anxiety in small children
anxiety in stomach how to get rid of it
anxiety in teenage daughter
anxiety in the classroom
anxiety in the classroom strategies
anxiety in toddlers
anxiety in young children
anxiety in young kids
anxiety institute
anxiety issues in children
anxiety levels of high school students
anxiety makes me feel sick
anxiety makes me feel sick all the time
anxiety making me sick
anxiety management for kids
anxiety medication for children
anxiety medication for kids
anxiety meds for kids
anxiety of going to school
anxiety over school
anxiety over school work
anxiety relief for kids
anxiety resources for teachers
anxiety school accommodations
anxiety sickness
anxiety stomach
anxiety stopping me from going to school
anxiety strategies for children
anxiety strategies for kids
anxiety symptoms in children
anxiety symptoms in teens
anxiety towards school
anxiety treatment for kids
anxious about being anxious
anxious feeling in stomach
anxious feeling in stomach for no reason
avoidance of school
back to school anxiety
back to school anxiety for parents
back to school anxiety high school
bedtime anxiety 7 year old
best way to deal with anxiety
best way to deal with anxiety attacks
calm ease for kids
can anxiety make you feel sick
can anxiety make you feel sick all the time
can children have anxiety
can kids get anxiety
can kids have anxiety
can school cause anxiety
causes of anxiety in children
causes of anxiety in kids
causes of anxiety in teens
causes of childhood anxiety
child afraid to go to school
child anxiety going to school
child anxiety over school
child anxiety school
child anxiety school refusal
child anxiety treatment
child has anxiety
child not going to school
child not wanting to go to school
child refuses to go to school
child refuses to go to school anxiety
child separation anxiety age 4
child separation anxiety age 5
child separation anxiety age 7
child separation anxiety age 8
child suffering from anxiety
child too anxious to go to school
childhood anxiety and school
childhood anxiety solutions
childhood anxiety strategies
childhood school anxiety
children and anxiety
children and school anxiety
children going to school
children's worries and anxieties
classroom strategies for anxiety
classroom strategies for students with anxiety
coping skills for child anxiety
coping strategies for anxiety in school
coping strategies for child with anxiety
coping with anxiety
coping with anxiety at school
coping with anxiety for kids
coping with anxiety in children
coping with childhood anxiety
coping with high anxiety
daughter has anxiety
dealing with anxiety
dealing with anxiety at school
dealing with anxiety attacks
dealing with anxiety disorder
dealing with anxiety in a child
dealing with anxiety in children
dealing with anxiety in kids
dealing with anxiety in the classroom
dealing with school refusal
dealing with severe anxiety
dealing with students with anxiety
dealing with teenage anxiety
depression and school attendance
depression and school refusal
does anxiety make you feel sick
does my child have anxiety
does my child suffer from anxiety
does my daughter have anxiety
does my teenager have anxiety
elementary school anxiety
extreme anxiety help
extreme anxiety in children
fear of going to school
fear of school
feeling anxious all the time
feeling anxious help
first day of school anxiety
first grade anxiety
five year old anxiety
getting anxious
going back to school anxiety
going to school with anxiety
going to school with social anxiety
having a child with anxiety
helping a child with separation anxiety
helping child with anxiety at school
helping child with anxiety disorder
helping children cope with anxiety
helping children deal with anxiety
helping children with anxiety
helping daughter with anxiety
helping kids cope with anxiety
helping kids deal with anxiety
helping kids with anxiety
helping kids with school anxiety
helping my child with anxiety
helping my daughter with anxiety
helping my son with anxiety
helping my teenager with anxiety
helping son with anxiety
helping students with anxiety
helping students with anxiety in school
helping students with anxiety in the classroom
helping teens with anxiety
helping young children with anxiety
helping your anxious child
helping your anxious teenager
helping your child cope with anxiety
helping your child deal with anxiety
high school anxiety
high school anxiety levels
high school senior anxiety
high school students with anxiety disorder
highly anxious child
how can i help anxiety
how can i help my child with anxiety
how can i help my daughter with anxiety
how can i help my son with anxiety
how can i help my teenager with anxiety
how do i deal with anxiety
how do i help my anxious child
how do i help my child with anxiety
how do i help my daughter with anxiety
how do i help my son with anxiety
how do i know if my child has anxiety
how do you deal with anxiety
how do you handle anxiety
how do you help a child with anxiety
how do you know if your child has anxiety
how does anxiety feel
how does anxiety start
how many children have anxiety
how many kids have anxiety
how to anxiety
how to avoid anxiety
how to calm an anxious child
how to calm down a child with anxiety
how to combat anxiety
how to comfort a child with anxiety
how to control anxiety at school
how to control anxiety in children
how to cope with a child with anxiety
how to cope with anxiety
how to cope with anxiety at school
how to cope with anxiety attacks
how to cope with anxiety disorder
how to cope with high anxiety
how to cope with nerves
how to cope with social anxiety at school
how to cope with teenage anxiety
how to cure school phobia
how to deal with a child that has anxiety
how to deal with a child who has anxiety
how to deal with a child with separation anxiety
how to deal with a child's anxiety
how to deal with anxiety
how to deal with anxiety as a teenager
how to deal with anxiety at school
how to deal with anxiety attacks
how to deal with anxiety attacks at school
how to deal with anxiety in children
how to deal with anxiety in kids
how to deal with anxiety in toddlers
how to deal with bad anxiety
how to deal with extreme anxiety
how to deal with high school anxiety
how to deal with nerves and anxiety
how to deal with nervousness
how to deal with nervousness and anxiety
how to deal with panic attacks at school
how to deal with really bad anxiety
how to deal with school refusal
how to deal with school stress and anxiety
how to deal with severe anxiety
how to deal with social anxiety at school
how to deal with stress and anxiety
how to deal with stress and anxiety at school
how to deal with teenage anxiety
how to deal with your anxiety
how to deal with your child's anxiety
how to ease anxiety
how to ease anxiety in child
how to encourage a child to go to school
how to get help for anxiety
how to get over an anxiety attack
how to get over school anxiety
how to get rid of school anxiety
how to get through an anxiety attack
how to get through anxiety
how to handle a child with anxiety
how to handle anxiety
how to handle anxiety attacks
how to help 10 year old with anxiety
how to help 11 year old with anxiety
how to help 6 year old with anxiety
how to help 7 year old with anxiety
how to help a 12 year old with anxiety
how to help a 4 year old with anxiety
how to help a child cope with anxiety
how to help a child deal with anxiety
how to help a child with anxiety
how to help a child with anxiety about school
how to help a child with anxiety disorder
how to help a child with anxiety go to school
how to help a child with anxiety in the classroom
how to help a child with separation anxiety
how to help a child with separation anxiety at school
how to help a child with severe anxiety
how to help a child with social anxiety
how to help a nervous child
how to help a teenager with anxiety
how to help a toddler with anxiety
how to help an anxious child go to school
how to help an anxious teenager
how to help anxiety
how to help cope with anxiety
how to help daughter with anxiety
how to help deal with anxiety
how to help extreme anxiety
how to help kids deal with anxiety
how to help kids with anxiety
how to help kids with separation anxiety
how to help my anxiety
how to help my child cope with anxiety
how to help my child with anxiety
how to help my child with anxiety disorder
how to help my child with school anxiety
how to help my child with separation anxiety
how to help my child's anxiety
how to help my daughter with anxiety
how to help my son with anxiety
how to help my teenage daughter with anxiety
how to help my teenager with anxiety
how to help school anxiety
how to help son with anxiety
how to help stop anxiety
how to help students with anxiety
how to help students with anxiety in the classroom
how to help teenage daughter with anxiety
how to help teenage son with anxiety
how to help with child anxiety
how to help with childhood anxiety
how to help your anxiety
how to help your child cope with anxiety
how to help your child cope with moving anxiety
how to help your child deal with anxiety
how to help your child with anxiety
how to help your child with social anxiety
how to help your daughter with anxiety
how to help your kid with anxiety
how to help your teen with anxiety
how to help your teenager with anxiety
how to keep anxiety away
how to know if your child has anxiety
how to make a child go to school
how to make anxiety stop
how to make kids go to school
how to manage anxiety in children
how to not get anxiety
how to not have anxiety
how to overcome anxiety attacks
how to overcome anxiety in children
how to overcome school anxiety
how to overcome school phobia
how to overcome social anxiety in high school
how to parent a child with anxiety
how to parent your anxious toddler
how to prevent anxiety attacks
how to reduce anxiety attacks
how to reduce anxiety in child
how to reduce anxiety in kids
how to relieve anxiety in a child
how to remove anxiety
how to stop an anxiety attack
how to stop an anxiety attack now
how to stop anxiety
how to stop anxiety at night
how to stop anxiety in children
how to stop being anxious
how to stop constant anxiety
how to stop feeling anxious
how to stop feeling anxious and sick
how to stop feeling sick from anxiety
how to stop feeling sick with anxiety
how to stop feeling so anxious
how to stop getting anxiety
how to stop getting anxiety attacks
how to stop having a panic attack
how to stop having anxiety
how to stop nervousness
how to stop school anxiety
how to stop suffering from anxiety
how to stop your anxiety
how to stop yourself from having an anxiety attack
how to tackle anxiety
how to tell if my child has anxiety
how to tell if your child has anxiety
how to treat anxiety in children
how to treat anxiety in kids
how to treat anxiety in teenager
is my child anxious
jobs for students with social anxiety
kids and anxiety
kids and school anxiety
kids with anxiety at school
kids with high anxiety
kids with school anxiety
kindergarten anxiety
kindergarten anxiety issues
kindergarten school anxiety
managing anxiety in children
managing anxiety in the classroom
medication for anxiety for kids
middle school anxiety
missing school because of depression
missing school because of depression and anxiety
missing school due to anxiety
my 11 year old daughter has anxiety
my 4 year old has anxiety
my 5 year old has anxiety
my 6 year old has anxiety
my 7 year old has anxiety
my 8 year old has anxiety
my 9 year old has anxiety
my child cries at school everyday
my child has anxiety
my child has anxiety about school
my child has anxiety disorder
my child has anxiety issues
my child has separation anxiety
my child has severe anxiety
my child has social anxiety
my child suffers from anxiety
my daughter has anxiety
my daughter has anxiety disorder
my daughter has anxiety issues
my daughter has severe anxiety
my daughter has social anxiety
my daughter is suffering from anxiety
my daughter suffers from anxiety
my son has anxiety
my son has anxiety about going to school
my son suffers from anxiety
my teenage daughter is having panic attacks
my teenager has anxiety
nervous child
nervous child symptoms of child anxiety
new school anxiety
ocd and school refusal
over anxious child
overcoming anxiety in children
overcoming school anxiety
panic attack at school
panic attack in class
parenting an anxious child
performance anxiety at school
performance anxiety in school
reducing anxiety in children
reducing anxiety in the classroom
reducing anxiety in your child
refusal to attend school
refusing to go to school
scared to go to school anxiety
school accommodations for anxiety
school accommodations for depression and anxiety
school anxiety
school anxiety disorder
school anxiety disorder symptoms
school anxiety help
school anxiety high school
school anxiety in kindergarten
school anxiety in young children
school anxiety interventions
school anxiety solutions
school anxiety symptoms
school anxiety teenager
school anxiety test
school anxiety treatment
school aversion
school avoidance
school avoidance anxiety
school avoidance behavior
school avoidance disorder
school avoidance treatment
school based anxiety
school based interventions for anxiety
school bus anxiety
school causes anxiety
school gives me anxiety
school gives me anxiety and depression
school induced anxiety
school makes me anxious
school makes me anxious and depressed
school makes me depressed and anxious
school makes me feel anxious
school phobia
school phobia causes
school phobia definition
school phobia high school
school phobia interventions
school phobia symptoms
school phobia treatment
school refusal
school refusal anxiety
school refusal anxiety disorder
school refusal behavior
school refusal disorder
school refusal help for parents
school refusal high school
school refusal interventions
school refusal of middle schoolers
school refusal strategies
school refusal strategies for parents
school refusal syndrome
school refusal teenager
school refusal treatment
school refusal treatment plan
school refusers strategies
school related anxiety
school separation anxiety kindergarten
school stress and anxiety
schools for kids with anxiety
separation anxiety 3 year old
separation anxiety and school
separation anxiety and school refusal
separation anxiety child school
separation anxiety in 10 year old
separation anxiety in children
separation anxiety in children school
separation anxiety in older children
separation anxiety in school age child
separation anxiety in school children
separation anxiety in teens
separation anxiety school
separation anxiety school age
separation anxiety school refusal
separation anxiety strategies
separation anxiety strategies for teachers
severe anxiety in childhood
severe anxiety in children
severe anxiety in children treatment
severe anxiety in kids
severe anxiety in teenager
severe anxiety in toddlers
severe school anxiety
sick feeling in stomach anxiety
signs of anxiety in children under 10
signs of anxiety in kids
signs of anxiety in preschoolers
signs of anxiety in toddlers
sleep anxiety in children symptoms
social anxiety and school
social anxiety and school refusal
social anxiety disorder school
social anxiety high school
social anxiety in classroom
social anxiety in preschoolers symptoms
social anxiety in school
social anxiety in students
social anxiety in the classroom
social anxiety in toddlers symptoms
social anxiety in young children
social anxiety school presentation
social anxiety school refusal
stop anxiety now
strategies for anxiety in the classroom
strategies for dealing with anxiety in the classroom
strategies for separation anxiety at school
strategies for students with anxiety
strategies to reduce anxiety in the classroom
stress and anxiety in childhood
stress and anxiety in children
student anxiety
students and anxiety
students with anxiety in the classroom
sudden anxiety in child
supporting children with anxiety
symptoms of school anxiety
teachers with anxiety disorder
teaching children with anxiety
teaching kids about anxiety
teaching strategies for students with anxiety disorders
teaching students with anxiety
teaching students with anxiety disorders
teaching students with social anxiety
teen school anxiety
teen school refusal
teenage anxiety school refusal
teenage depression and school refusal
teenager refuses to go to school
the anxiety children
the anxious girl’s first day of work
things that can help with anxiety
things to help with anxiety
things to stop anxiety
thinking too much anxiety
tips for kids with anxiety
tips to help with anxiety
toddler anxiety symptoms
toddler school anxiety
toddler social anxiety
too anxious to go to school
too depressed to go to school
very anxious
very anxious child
ways to control anxiety
ways to cope with anxiety
ways to cope with anxiety attacks
ways to deal with anxiety
ways to deal with anxiety attacks
ways to handle anxiety
ways to help a child with anxiety
ways to help anxiety
ways to help cope with anxiety
ways to help deal with anxiety
ways to help kids with anxiety
ways to reduce anxiety in children
ways to stop anxiety
ways to stop anxiety fast
ways to stop feeling anxious
what can help with anxiety
what can i do about my anxiety
what can i do for anxiety
what can i do to help my anxiety
what can i do to help my child with anxiety
what can i do to help with anxiety
what can i do to stop anxiety
what can i do to stop my anxiety
what can stop anxiety
what can you do for anxiety
what can you do to stop anxiety
what causes anxiety in children
what causes anxiety in kids
what causes anxiety in toddlers
what causes childhood anxiety
what do i do about my anxiety
what does anxiety look like in a child
what does anxiety stomach pain feel like
what happens if a child refuses to go to school
what is anxiety for kids
what is anxiety in children
what is school phobia
what should i do about my anxiety
what to do for a child with anxiety
what to do for anxiety
what to do for children with anxiety
what to do for kids with anxiety
what to do if you have anxiety
what to do if your child has anxiety
what to do to help anxiety
what to do to stop anxiety
what to do when anxiety is high
what to do when having an anxiety attack
what to do when having anxiety
what to do when your anxiety is bad
what to do when your anxiety is high
what to do when your anxious
what to do when your child has anxiety
what to do with a child with anxiety
what to do with an anxious child
what to say to a child with anxiety
when your child has anxiety
why do children go to school
why do i feel anxiety in my stomach
why do i feel so anxious
why do i have so much anxiety
why do kids get anxiety
why does anxiety make me feel sick
why does anxiety make you feel sick
why does anxiety start
why does my child have anxiety
why does my teenage daughter have panic attacks
why is my anxiety so bad
why is my child so anxious
working with children with anxiety
working with kids with anxiety
10 year old anxiety
10 year old anxiety symptoms
10 year old sleep anxiety
11 year old anxiety
11 year old daughter anxiety
11 year old sleep anxiety
12 year old anxiety
13 year old anxiety problems
1st grade separation anxiety
3 year old anxiety
4 year old anxiety symptoms
5 year old anxiety
5 year old anxiety at school
5 year old school anxiety
5 year old separation anxiety at school
5 year old separation anxiety school
6 year old anxiety
7 year old separation anxiety school
7 year old sleep anxiety
8 year old anxiety
8 year old anxiety at bedtime
8 year old anxiety symptoms
9 year old anxiety
9 year old sleep anxiety
9 year old with anxiety issues